(HealthDay News) -- A key to successful dieting is to enjoy your food more, while eating less, the U.S. Department of Agriculture says.
Your meals should include all of the food groups while limiting sugar, salt and saturated fat, the agency says.
The USDA offers these additional suggestions:
- Learn the ingredients in all foods and beverages you consume, which will help you make healthier choices.
- Eat slowly, enjoy the taste and texture of your food and pay attention to how you feel.
- Use a smaller plate.
- Chose healthier options if you eat out.
- Feed your sweet tooth with fruit, instead of choices with added sugar.
- Eat more vegetables, fruit and whole grains.
- Opt for calorie-free beverages, such as water, unsweetened tea or sparkling water, over soda and alcoholic drinks.
- Make sweets a once-in-a-while treat. It's OK to indulge occasionally, not daily.
This article: Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.