My elderly parents live in another state, my father has cancer that will be terminal. I am going out more frequently to make sure they're taking care of themselves, and to handle the chores. My mother has a histrionic personality that is very alienating. I have many avoidant/schizoid traits. Without my father in her life, she will have increased difficulties in relating to the world. It's difficult for me to interact with her, but I do want to make sure she can function after Dad's death. Is there some reference work you might recommend that might help me bridge this gulf of personalities? I know it will only be a temporary bridge, but I feel I need to convince her to move into a retirement community where she won't fall prey to scammers who with a little sweet talk can easily take advantage of someone with her personality. Thank you.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.