Where do I go for absolution for personal anger, hate and depression? How can I face the daily struggle to find meaning in a world that I find amusing, with people that I find irritating, and with places and situations I find boring? I escape the mediocrity of my life with other people's imaginations and my own. I exist in the moment, yet live in books, movies, and dreams. I have potential without drive, desire or goals. I am eager for affection, company, and love, but I am moody, peevish, and, at times, annoying to those around me. I have never had a relationship with a woman, other than platonic, though my sexual desires are strong. I'm 31 and lonely, above all else. I am 20-25 pounds overweight, though I am not exactly a fat body, just big in the gut. I have no health problems, and am in excellent physical condition, except for the weight. I am unhappy, with myself, my life, and with my unhappiness. I know I have a great many things going for me, that life is not as bitter as it sometimes seems, and I am tired of my own whining. I feel lost, hopeless and alone. Always an outsider watching, waiting, eager for the participants to ask me to join the fun. I think I have felt this way since I was a child. Either above the fray, or simply apart from it. I have gone for help, been put on Zoloft, and it merely made me tired. I know this is just an advice column, and the advice will be to seek help again, but sometimes it just helps to put my thoughts into words. Dreaming of a better me.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.