I am a 33 year old female. I recently started treatment for clinical depression with a psychotherapist. She referred me to a psychiatrist for medication (Celexa), but wanted me to continue weekly sessions with her. The psychiatrist told me that I do not need to continue treatment with her if I am undergoing treatment with him once every two weeks. I like the psychiatrist's straight forward methods a little better, but I want to make sure I'm getting the help I need to get through this. This is very confusing. It was a big step for me to initiate therapy to start with, as I was having trouble even getting out my front door. Now I feel like I'm obligated to both of them and don't know what to do. Is it counterproductive to undergo treatment with two different people who have different orientations? What type of treatment would you recommend for clinical depression?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.