I have dated probably close to 12 guys in the past 8 years. Out of all these men, I had only one long on/off relationship that lasted about 7 years. I had always thought he was "The One" but after waiting for him indefinitely, we finally ended it last year. Since then I have dated a couple of guys, all of which are nice enough, but have not gotten any luck going anywhere further than that. I don't feel it's difficult to be friends with men and to date them but I just don't know why I'm always scared to be labelled boyfriend and girlfriend exclusively.
Do you think I'm afraid of commitment? I don't even have a credit card or loan and pay everything, including bills, by debit card or cash because I do not want to owe anything or anyone. Or could it be that I can never feel I can trust somebody enough because my parents divorced when I was a teenager? I'm confused, lonely and feel depressed at times.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.