Ask Dr. Dombeck
Psychotherapy and Mental Health Questions
Is it true that Prozac is recognized as a miracle drug which cures depression? and if not is there any antidepressant medication that does?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Dombeck responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Dombeck intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Dombeck to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Dombeck, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Dombeck and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.
My dream - Glenda COSENZA - May 19th 2010
Well I've dreamed of a passionate, romantic love with a man since I was 12 (I'm now 66) and it's never happened -- until NOW -- with a much younger man (who is attracted to older women) and with whom I have explored the heights and depths of unimagineable passion and excitement and joy and common interests. I think online romance has many advantages but also potential disadvantages. My lover has not told me many things -- many pieces of information are missing. And he avoids discussing us meeting in person -- and I'm very very sad and worried actually by that. But....I cannot cut it or him off. I genuinely love this man. We'll see what happens.......
Cyber-romance? - Lyssa - May 1st 2010
I met my boyfriend through an online rpg, along with several of his offline friends. They actually got me to the point where I was playing the game regularly, cuz' they were looking for a single-target healer, or an OT and MT healer (ie, the one that heals the tanks, since most of the other healing classes consisted of raid heals- people that healed the other 10-25-40 people in the group).
We all hung out for three years together. Before I was with my boyfriend, I had a massive crush- and even fell in love- with his friend. We were really close, and even got so far as to be talking on the phone for 5+ hours a day. All the guys I met on there were much more open and interested in telling their stories than many guys I've met offline. xD Granted, I knew because I knew them, that the two dudes I got closest to- my bf, and my ex bf- were shy mofos in real life.
However, that only made me like them more. :3 One Thanksgiving, I went out to go visit my friend (who I was crushing on at the time) to stay with his family. I hit it off with both him, and my current bf and the year that followed was just about making this huge decision that would alter my life forever. Now, I live with my boyfriend and we have a house- he's not very talkative, and I can be real snappy- but despite any shortcomings we have, we still love each other very much.. also his family is awesome!! Cyber love does exist, if you are willing to be loyal, and capable of accepting it.
Some people can't get over the need to see/feel/touch the person they meet- but I feel that the connection you can get through words and strength of will in maintaining a long distance relationship is beautiful. Loving connection in general is.. whatever the scenario. No need to complicate it more than that.